Even though the early versions of the platform are focused on streaming media, the present versions support graphics, multimedia and animation. In addition, it provides the developers support for CLI languages and development tools. The Microsoft platform is furthermore one of the two app development platforms for Windows Phone. However, the web pages that use it could not run on the Windows Phone or Windows Mobile versions of Internet Explorer since there is no plug-in for it on the platforms.
The platform provides a retained mode graphics system that is similar to WPF or Windows Presentation Foundation, and incorporates graphics, multi-media, animations and interactivity to one single run-time environment. In Silverlight apps, user interfaces are declared. Silverlight makes it possible to load Extensible Markup Language content dynamically that could be manipulated via a Document Object Model or DOM interface, a technique consistent with the conventional Ajax techniques. It exposes a Downloader object that could be used for downloading content, such as media assets, scripts or other or data, as may be required by an application.
It is much the same or very similar to Flash in that it could be used for creating applications and games and that it could be used also for displaying online videos across different platforms. Microsoft Silverlight is used for displaying a lot of online videos as well as other media. The platform was first released in 2007 and has had several updates and editions since. It is a freeware app that works on Windows, Symbian and Mac operating systems.
The following are some of the features of Silverlight.
- Includes rich framework of built-in class library to use with apps that are browser-based.
- Built-in CLR engine that is available for delivering an ultra high performance execution environment for the browser.
- Supports WPF UI programming model.
- It supports Linux or PHP environment.Therefore, it does not need ASP.NET.
- Offers a managed HTML DOM API what is used for HTML enabled programs of a browser with the use of .NET.
- Allows limited access to file system for apps. An OS native file dialog box could be used to use any file.
Below are the benefits of the Silverlight platform.
- Supports cross-platform and cross-browser apps
- Supports videos that are of the highest quality
- Most affordable way for video streaming over the web at the best quality possible
- The features are available for developers with Visual Studio to develop apps real fast
- Provides support for remote debugging
- Offers copy protection
- Offers third party languages like Python, Ruby and EcmaScript
Silverlight is much the same to Flash in the sense that it could be used to create apps and games and could also be used to display online videos across various platforms. Microsoft's Silverlight is used to display many online videos and other media as well. It was first released in 2007 and has had different editions and updates since.
Silverlight provides various benefits. It could support cross-browser and cross-platform applications and support videos that are of the highest quality as well. It is considered as the most affordable way of video streaming over the internet at the best possible quality. The features are available for programmers and developers with Visual Studio for developing applications really fast.